I’m delighted that several book groups have picked my novel.
I am always happy (within reasonable distance of where I happen to be) to join a book group and answer questions about Finer Things.
I travel about the country a fair bit – so if you’re interested in discussing the book with its writer, please contact me via the form on this website.
Otherwise, here are some questions you might like to talk about…
Possible Discussion Prompts
- Some people think Finer Things is Delia’s story others think it’s Tess’s. What’s your view, and why?
- Does the portrayal of the 1960s fit with your expectations of that period? did you find any aspects of it surprising?
- What were your thoughts about Jimmy? What do you think he brings to the story?
- What do you think Tess gets out of her friendship with Delia? And vice versa?
- Do you think the novel manages to avoid stereotypes?
- How did you respond to the various unconventional ‘romantic’ relationships in Finer Things?
- Did you read the historical notes? Did they change your understanding of the novel? Do you think writers should draw attention to their research in this way?
- How do you see the future unfolding for the three main characters?
I can also respond by email to questions that arise from your book club discussions. Just send them to me via my contact page.
Over here, I’ve blogged the answers I gave to some questions sent to me by the group at The Book Corner in Saltburn.